Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Doppelgänger








This is the text I wrote for a nice Venezuelan magazine called Mono. Each issue of Mono is about an specific subject, this number's theme was opposites.

First, you can read my rough translation to English, then the original text in Spanish.


Hope you like it! x


-


Doppelgänger


I. 


The last couple of months it happened to me quite often that when I go out, I see someone's doppelgänger. And I'm not talking about those of celebrities or people who I care about. No. These are the evil twins of random people. Strangers I wouldn't think about under any other circumstances: the man from a BP's service station in El Cafetal, the coffee-boy from a bakery in Santa Eduvigis, my mom's nasty neighbor from the third floor back in Caracas.

The minute the encounter happens, I start doubting, not about the doppelgänger’s ID because some mysterious neuron manages to identify them with a very scary precision, but of my mental health in general. I don't know if this is about nostalgia or if it's just a nervous breakdown. The only thing that appears really clear to me is that my brain is playing dirty to me.



II.


Most of the people I know called me Ana. I have a very important amount of nicknames and each and everyone belongs to a different moment of my life, nevertheless my other identity is called simply Patricia, my second name. 

Thinking about that now I realize that Patricia began to exist since I was a little girl. Every time I was naughty that was the name my mum chose to lecture me. Patricia, come here, she used to say with a deadly serious voice. Ana managed to escape all the time. Ana was incapable of breaking a thermometer just to play with Mercury. 

Patricia, say those who have met her as a grown-up, is my opposite. The one that takes my place to do those things I wouldn't dare. She usually appears in high-stress situations, important decision-making moments, or in nights of heavy drinking and partying. Those nights that lasts until morning light and then a little longer. Sometimes I could swear that I've seen Patricia coming into the party and look at me from the other side of the room while holding that glass of wine I shouldn't drink.


III. 


Doppelgänger stories are very popular in literature, paranormal activity books and psychiatric offices. Their existence could even be explained under quantum mechanics principles. Our doubles would be probabilities of ourselves in different universes. Alan Guth, a famous MIT's physicist once said, "there is a universe in which Elvis is alive and Al Gore is president". I wonder if Alan has a second name that his mother used to reprehend him when he was little. 

The possibility (or probability) of Patricia truly fascinates me and intrigues me. I like to think of her, walking around, always on the other side of the road. Think that someday I going to get to watch her talking with the magazine-stand woman near my home or next to that guy that I went to uni with but I cannot remember his name.


Doppelgängers, can't live with them... can't live without them.





*




I.



Estos últimos meses me ha pasado con relativa frecuencia que cada vez que salgo a la calle me encuentro con el doppelgänger de alguien. No me refiero a los dobles de famosos o de gente a la que extraño, no. Estos son los hermanos gemelos malvados de las personas más aleatorias de la vida, gente en la que no pensaría bajo ninguna otra circunstancia: el bombero de la BP de El Cafetal, el muchacho del café de la panadería de Santa Eduvigis, la vecina antipatiquísima del tercer piso. En el instante dudo, no de la identidad del doppelgänger en cuestión porque alguna neurona misteriosa logra identificarlos con una precisión que da miedo, dudo de si se trata de nostalgia o de un brote psicótico. De una manera u otra, lo único que me queda claro es que mi cerebro me la está jugando.



II.



La mayor parte de la gente me conoce como Ana. Tengo una cantidad importante de sobrenombres, todos contextualizados en el tiempo, sin embargo, mi otra personalidad, es sencillamente Patricia, mi segundo nombre. Ahora que lo pienso, Patricia empezó a existir desde que era una niña. Cada vez que me portaba mal ese era el nombre elegido para el regaño, Patricia, ven acá. Ana escapaba siempre, Ana sería incapaz de haber roto un termómetro para jugar con el Mercurio. Patricia entonces, me dicen quienes la han llegado a conocer de grande, es mi opuesto. La que toma mi lugar para hacer lo que yo no haría. Suele hacer apariciones fugaces en situaciones de alto estrés, al momento de tomar decisiones impulsivas o en noches de excesos, de copas, locas, de esas que se prolongan hasta que sale el sol. A veces juraría haberla visto llegar a una fiesta y desde el otro lado de la sala mirarme a los ojos mientras sostiene esa copa de vino que no debería tomarme.



III.



Las historias de dopplegängers (alemán para “doble andante”) son famosas en la literatura, en los libros de fenómenos paranormales y en consultorios psiquiátricos. Su existencia podría incluso ser explicada según los principios de la mecánica cuántica. Nuestros dobles serían probabilidades de nosotros mismos en múltiples universos. Alan Guth, reconocido físico del MIT dice “hay un universo en el que Elvis está vivo y Al Gore es presidente”. Me pregunto si Alan tendrá un segundo nombre que usaban para regañarlo cuando era pequeño. A mí la posibilidad (o probabilidad) de Patricia me fascina y me intriga. Me gusta pensar que está caminando por ahí, siempre en la acera de enfrente, y que un día de estos la veré pasar, tal vez junto a la mujer del kiosko de revistas de Los Palos Grandes o al chico aquel que se graduó conmigo pero estudiaba en la tarde.



Doppelgängers... can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

















No comments: